Friday, October 26, 2007

Frantic

The pace of our culture seems to have gone from accelerated to frantic lately.

Do you sense it?

So many of us in the Living Room Community are being pressed beyond reason by our life and work circumstances these days. I am deeply concerned about each of you, as well as myself, and what this pace is doing to us holistically. Do we even have time to think fast, let alone consider and think through issues and decisions before we make them or are we just living in the split second timing of NOW? Our health, our relationships, our emotional balance, our spirituality, our purpose is all suffering as a result of FRANTIC.

Out of my deep concern for all of us, I'd like to engage in a blogging conversation with you about how this race inside the hamster wheel is affecting you and me and what we can do to preserve the body, mind, and spirit that God treasures in each of us.

It is very late and I must leave you with this thought for tonight...

Christ, our Savior, Advocate and Lord never rushed through His life, yet He moved with purpose and was totally focused on what was most important (glorifying and obeying God)....

How can we follow His example given the realities of our lives?

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I have taken an intentional approach in an attempt to not live a frantic life. Having Crohn's disease has helped in this matter, as it has forced me to live in such a way so as not to take on undue stress. Living a slower paced life is something that sometimes bothers me, though. I know I miss out on some opportunities, but in the end, I feel like it is the best way for me to live.

Pamela C. Lang said...

Thank you so much, Aaron, for sharing your wisdom with us in your comments. Taking an intentional approach is vital to the commitment and discipline it takes to combat the tide of the urgent, but not important that we face in our daily lives. It means making choices, considering each task and event, saying "no" on a regular basis and assessing with spiritual wisdom what is the most important to God, for our neighbor and for us on our spiritual journeys.

Perhaps as individuals, we need to consider whether some of the commitments we are engaged in right now are not, in reality, detrimental to our spiritual journeys in the short run, as well as the long run. Tough decisions...much to consider...

What does anyone else think?