Friday, June 08, 2007

Pacing Myself



One of the principal concepts that has been reinforced to me during my current medical leave is that I need to pace myself. In the world of the 21st Century, the speed at which urgent and important demands comes at us seems to increase as the weeks and months go by. Perhaps you, like me, find this pace to be way too fast to be able to think through the consequences of our frantic actions and activities.

I'm the type of person who has very high expectations for myself and what I can accomplish in a day, week, or season. I pile too much on my plate and, along with all that work and life adds to that plate, I feel overwhelmed much of the time. I confess that this may be very much of a control issue. As I have had some time to rest and breathe recently, I've been considering how Christ never rushed during His life on earth. He worked and related consistently, ensuring that He was able to withdraw for that critical time of reflection and communion with the Father, trusting that He would accomplish the Father's Will in this world. This is the pattern I want to follow for my life. In the past week or so, preparing to go back to my full time job, my activity level has increased exponentially. I could feel the stress level beginning to build almost immediately. Thankfully, I stopped and considered the pattern of what was happening and took immediate action to reduce the amount of tasks for these days and pace myself in such a way that I could enjoy what I was doing and have time to think and reflect, as well. My prayer is that as I go back to work in another ten days, I will continue to follow Christ's example of this life-giving principle of pacing myself so that I may holistically be the person He wants me to be for His glory.

Does anyone else share this sense of rushing so fast you don't have time to think?

Please share your thoughts...

1 comment:

Aaron Bishop said...

I find myself in that situation from time to time and I hate the way it makes me feel: panicky, moody, angry. I really try hard to say no to a lot of things, especially church-based items, because I know that I am prone to (physical) sickness if I get too stressed out. I think God has used my sickness as a way to make me slow down and evaluate what I really need to do as opposed to what I think I need to do (usually the latter involves trying to please others at my own expense).