Thursday, March 15, 2007

Reflections: 15 March 2007

As I feel the hunger in my soul for relationship and know that only Almighty God can ultimately fulfill that longing, I understand in a renewed way that intimate relationship with the Holy Being of God is an exercise of faith and trust. At this point in infinite time, our Lord communicates with us in ways other than physical presence or verbal interaction. I communicate with Him through prayer and meditation. I live my life as an offering of gratitude for what He has done for me. But I still long to be wrapped in His infinitely strong arms, hear words of supreme encouragement, and look into His eyes and see love and approval there. Do any of you share this longing?

Recently, a pastor-friend was commenting that relationships are built on openness and trust. I was considering how this applies to my relationship with my Lord. It's almost laughable how many times I'm afraid for God to see my true feelings.. The ultimate joke is that He already knows everything I feel and think far deeper that I even feel or comprehend them myself! I can see God smiling a very knowing smile at my childish foolishness.

May I encourage all of you, all of us together, to be totally open and honest with our precious Savior? We don't need to hide in shame anymore. Because of Christ's total justification of our souls, we can come boldly and in total acceptance before God's throne. He is there; He longs for us to come to Him.

Please be encouraged this day in Him.

2 comments:

Aaron Bishop said...

The author of one book I am currently reading compared God's love to a parent's love for their child. When we meet someone (friend or partner), we grow to love them. But when we have a child, we love them instantly. The child did nothing to earn it.
I know that is a simple analogy, but it really spoke to me about how God loves me that same way.

Scott Hackman said...

Lately, I have been embarrassed by my feelings toward God, or should I say my lack of feeling. Sometimes I am overwhelmed with doubt and fear that this belief I hold so strongly to is just my meager attempt to create meaning from an otherwise meaningless existence.

How is God ok with all my questions knowing I may never get an answer that satisfies this longing, like a child longing for a parents love who is no longer there?