Friday, March 16, 2007

Spirituality and Death

Jared Byas recently continued our conversations on spirituality by leading a discussion on Death & Spirituality

Some of the questions we considered were:

  1. How often do you think about death? (Others and your own?)
  2. Heidegger calls coming to terms with your own death a step towards true “Authenticity”. How is this the case?
  3. “I affirm brethren, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily…I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me…” (St. Paul)

    What does Paul mean by this?

    Is this supposed to be the norm for Christians? How so?

    “I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after the wind…Thus I hated all the fruit of my labor for which I had labored under the sun, for I must leave it to the man who will come after me…He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves abundance with its income. This too is vanity. This also is a grievous evil – exactly as a man is born, thus will he die. So what is the advantage to him who toils for the wind?” (Qohelet)

No comments: