Thursday, April 19, 2007

Spiritual Journal: Prayer of Repentance

This prayer from many years ago seems to reverberate with truth that continues to be a struggle for me as well as many others who have shared their hearts with me. Let us all take encouragement from the grace and forgiveness of the King of Kings!

Dear Lord,

As I have been editing this spiritual writing project, You have been showing me so many of my sinful strategies. There was a time when I felt that no one thought like me, but now I see that we are all alike in our sinfulness. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Lord, I confess to you that I have been actively pursuing my own track of self-righteousness and self-fulfillment, especially these past few months. I have ordered my whole life around seeking the attention and approval of other people. I have been trying to feed off of the approval of my co-workers, and I have expended great amounts of time, money, and energy to try and obtain this approval. I confess also that I am not sure right now whether any of what I have done in the past months has any merit for Your glory. I am so sorry, Lord. Please forgive me and help me to move forward serving others for Your sake, rather than trying to manipulate them.

Dear Lord, I am seeing so much of my sin, but at the same time, I am seeing that in Christ, I am declared righteous. Thank you, Jesus! Lord, I confess that this problem will not be going away overnight. I have been living like a spiritual orphan for many years. Please help me to start living like a daughter of the King of Kings. Please help me not to be afraid to look at my life, my motives, my attitudes, or my actions to see what my strategies are. Please help me to understand what you want me to do and please give me the strength to do it.

Thank you, Lord, for being so loving, gracious, and forgiving!

No comments: