Friday, April 27, 2007

Spiritual Journal: Silent Retreat

It is 9:45 p.m. on the first night of my first silent retreat and already You have reminded me and taught me many things. The fruit of the spirit[1] is all nine aspects in one concatenated fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control[2]. You are the Originator and Author (Creator) of the Fruit; You are the one who gives it life and causes it to grow. What I need to do is cultivate opportunities for growth by making myself open and available to You.

You’ve also taught me that You want me living and ministering to those who don’t know You. That being spiritual is not defined by living solely in a Christian commune or private cocoon.

You’ve taught me that even though I sometimes get a little lost or confused, You provide help in a variety of creative ways to point me in the right direction: by asking for help, by someone offering assistance, by trying an unknown path only to find a solution to my present dilemma but one that I didn’t even know I had yet (parking).You’ve shown me how empty I am when I don’t allow You to nourish me and fill me[3]. You’ve shown me from Psalm 23 that You lead me, You restore me, and You guide me. It is You who is in control — not me. May this weekend of silence with You be a time when I begin to let You lead me, let You restore me, and let You guide me. You want so much more for me than where I am at spiritually right now. Please help me to trust You and yield everything to You.

[1] Charles Zimmerman’s BWB tape on the Introduction to the Fruit of the Spirit
[2] Galatians 5:22-23; John 15
[3] Darryl’s reminder of C. John Miller’s words: “One look at my sin; ten looks at Christ.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Psalm 23: A psalm of David.

The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.

He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.


Surely your goodness and
unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.


[New Living Translation (NLT) ]Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.

No comments: